Saturday, July 6, 2019

Gen 1.3 Enter, Gen 2


After dropping off her completed paperwork, Lupe had to take a class and have a home inspection. The process took a few weeks and though the local government was loathe to make a single woman a foster parent, they accepted her. Late one afternoon, she got the call she had been half hoping for and dreading, "Good afternoon, Ms. Estes, this is Dr Smith from the Department of Children and Family Services, please have a room ready this evening for a young girl to stay with you." 


After hanging up, Lupe got to work cleaning. She was so nervous she couldn't stay still! First she cleaned the kitchen, wiping down the table and the counters and cleaning out the fridge. Then she cleaned the oven, did the dishes, and swept the floor. Then she went and made up the bed. Just as she was approaching the bathroom, the doorbell rang, causing Floyd to jump down from the couch and run over barking ecstatically. She opened the door to admit a harried looking social worker and a quiet, pale little girl. Floyd took the lead, rushing up to them and sniffing their shoes and groins, sneezing periodically. He was very good at breaking the ice. Lupe invited them in over Floyd's barking. The social worker introduced them, "Juniper, this is Lupe Estes, you'll be staying with her for a while until your mother can take care of you again. Ms. Estes, this is Juniper. Here are her things." She handed Lupe a mostly empty black trash bag, "We'll be in touch." With that, she left leaving the woman and the girl sitting uneasily on the couch. 

"Would you like something to eat? Or have you eaten?" Lupe asked. The girl shook her head and continued staring at her feet, petting Floyd absently. 

"Would you like to see your room? I didn't know what you liked, so it's kind of plain." Juniper nodded and stood up. Lupe led her across the living room to the first door to the left of the kitchen and opened it. "Here's your bed, the blanket was mine when I was little. My abuela crocheted. I got this toy bin for you and I found this dollhouse at the thrift store. I hope you like it! If you don't, we can just repaint." Lupe felt like her mouth was running away from her. The little girl stood in the middle of the room, turning this way and that taking it all in. Then, she went back to the living room, grabbed her bag, and brought it back. She went rummaging inside it and put a ragged stuffed bear on the bed. Then she opened the storage drawer and upended the rest of its contents inside. For the first time, she smiled at Lupe, "Do you think I could learn to paint? I also want to write! I've got all these ideas for stories..." She stopped like she said too much. Then she continued, her mind on a different track, "Can I play with him?" she asked pointing to Floyd. "Sure thing, just mind his body language. If his tail goes down between his legs, he's scared. If his ears go flat and you can see the whites of his eyes he might bite even if he isn't growling. Dogs can't talk like we can, so you have to pay attention to other things. If he gets too rough, say 'no' firmly and stop reacting to him. Put your hands into fists and go still like a tree. He seems to like you, have fun! I'll be right here if you need anything. Oh, and stay on top of the hill. My property is pretty much every thing on top here, but the sides are pretty sheer. It wouldn't be fun to go rolling down." Juniper scratched at her arm, thinking, "I don't really like it outside, it isn't safe."

Girl and dog retreated to the front porch. Even here, Juniper felt uneasy. What if there was someone in the bushes? What if she did go rolling down the hill? There are bugs and snakes outside! Floyd would know if there were anything in the bushes, she answered herself. "Hi, boy!" she said addressing him, "Are these your toys? Do you like sqeaky toys?" she asked, teasing him with one. He feinted one way and then another trying to get the toy, tail wagging. Then he nosed through the toy basket and came up with a knotted rope and dropped it at Juniper's feet. She picked it up, was she supposed to throw it? When Floyd grabbed it and started pulling, she nearly dropped her end from surprise. He seemed to be teaching her how to play tug of war, by tugging on his end of the rope then stopping and giving Juniper a look. When Juniper tugged back, he triumphantly tugged back like, "Yes!" Eventually, Floyd tired of winning and went running off across the yard. 

Lupe was working in the garden, getting it ready for winter. She watched the dog go running off, followed a little later by Juniper. She had a feeling things were going to turn out well. Looking up a little later, she saw girl and dog silhouetted against the rising moon. It was a memory she'd look back fondly on for years.

5 comments:

  1. Just want to re-iterate how cute Juniper is (also, I love the name Juniper). I actually enjoy reading blogs with spoilers (maybe that's weird...), so I took a peek at your Rolls page, and I'll just say I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the rolls unfold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give my 7 year old daughter credit for Juniper's cuteness. I let her dress all the kids in my game, unless they're supposed to dress a certain way for story purposes. Juniper has been one of my name crushes since high school.

      I've never played the criminal career, ever, so I'm pretty excited about that.

      Delete
  2. (I know I probably PM'ed you the same thing earlier, but I want to put it out there for other readers.) I think the way you you wrote Lupe 'nesting' was perfection. Most people getting ready to receive a foster/adopted child or have a baby subconsciously go through this process.

    As a cat n dog person, I think you have added enough detail to give us an insight into how clever Floyd is as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floyd spends most of his time going from comfy spot to comfy spot and napping. Sometimes he chases raccoons and sometimes he follows people around he wants attention from. He spent a lot of time as a young dog hunting down collectibles for Lupe to analyze, clone, and run experiments on. Now that she's a singer, he has a lot of time to dig recreational holes.

      Delete
    2. With the first dog in my legacy, Gypsy, the game insisted that she chase the postperson daily, which made her friendly trait switch to aggressive constantly. I even cheated and tried making them BFF's but that didn't help.

      The art imitates life part was when I owned a Huskie named Gypsy, I was working as a mail carrier...

      Delete