Friday, July 5, 2019

Gen 1.2 Exuent Sam, Stage Left Pursued by Bear

The next morning Lupe got on the phone. She knew Sam didn't have to be at work until the afternoon, so she asked him to brunch. Maybe Sam felt guilty, but he agreed to meet her at the coffee shop. Lupe took her time in front of the mirror before she left, she needed to look her best and perfect her shocked expression. When she got to the coffee shop Sam wasn't there yet. She got a cup of coffee and a muffin and had a seat. She sipped slowly at the coffee, looking out the window and watching passerbys and broke her muffin into bits nervously. Sam came rushing in about five minutes later once her muffin was reduced to crumbs. He smiled nervously and waved at Lupe before getting his own cup. Lupe glanced out the window and saw Abigail sitting across the street at one of the outdoor tables at the cafe. She smirked at Lupe and gave a mock wave, before pulling her long purple hair into a messy bun and pulling out a magazine. 

Sam came over with his sugary specialty drink. Lupe had no idea how he could stand that stuff. Kissing him was like eating a candy bar after he had one of those. She preferred her coffee with a touch of cream and no sugar. Sam looked down and stirred the whip cream and caramel sauce into his drink with his straw. Lupe decided to break the silence, "What did you get this time, an iced caramel mocha? Is there any espresso in there at all?" 

Sam looked up, "It's an iced caramel latte. I think I saw them put two shots in! Still too bitter though. What's up?"

"What, a girl can't ask her boyfriend out for coffee without suspicion anymore?"

Sam's face went ashen, "You didn't check your voicemail this morning?!" 

"No, I saw the missed call, but I figured we could just talk here..." Lupe said, keeping her tone light. Sam ran his fingers through his already messy hair, "I really wish, you'd listened to the voicemail, Lupe, it would've made everything so much easier... I ran into Abby last night, well she ran into me, we ran into each other? We still have feelings for each other and, well, something happened and we decided to give things another chance." 

Lupe recoiled like she'd been slapped, her large green eyes filling with tears. She knew she'd needed to hear it from him. She itched to slap him, but when she lifted her hand, she saw him brace himself for it and rested her hand on his cheek. This seemed more shocking to him than if she had, and leaned his head into her hand, his cheekbone fitting into the hollow of her palm perfectly. He leaned back in his chair his stubble rasping against her hand, breaking contact, "Lupe, I had so much fun with you and you showed me that things don't need to be so hard all the time..."

Before her brain had time to connect with the action, she leaned forward and kissed him, lingeringly. It would be the last time, "Things shouldn't be so hard, Sam, relationships do take work, but..." He stood up and crossed the table, she stood up to meet him. He kissed her hard, pulling her arms around his waist. She met him eagerly, but pulled back. "You're right, things are over with me and Abigail."

"You're a great guy, Sam, and you deserve better. I know you have a history, but it seems to me that she's toying with you and Sebastian. He used to be your best friend, when was the last time you even spoke to him?" 

Across the street, Abigail met Lupe's eyes with a glare. She held two fingers up in a V and gestured to her eyes and pointed at Lupe. 

"So where does that leave us?" Sam asked.

Lupe's eyes filled with pity, "Sam, I could never be with someone I couldn't trust out of my sight. I could've loved you. I thought you could be The One, but now... I wish you the best, don't be a stranger." With that Lupe, grabbed her bag and left leaving Sam staring after her. Someone would console him soon, he wouldn't be single for long, she was sure. Lupe slung her bag over her shoulder and headed over to City Hall to drop off some papers. She had decided to apply to be a foster parent and give some child the home she had never had growing up.

6 comments:

  1. Aww yay, it's cool you started a blog! Don't sweat too much about doing a blog the way other people might--just write how you want, and it'll be nice to have it all easy to find in one place. :)

    Also, I laughed out loud at the Shakespeare reference in this chapter title. I had to Google which play it was from, though, since I'd forgotten. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's from A Winter's Tale, but I found the rest of the play forgettable. Now, to figure out how to anchor a post to say "This is a Random Legacy; these are my rolls"

      Delete
  2. I know we got a sneak preview of the future of this blog and your writing skills on MTS, and I'm looking forward to reading (and rereading) the rest here. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I posted Juniper's intro this morning.

      Delete
  3. Also loved the Shakespeare reference, and agree that line is the most memorable part of A Winter's Tale. Also excited that you started a blog, and I look forward to seeing more posts here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoy your legacy too! My mom says that A Winter's Tale proves that everyone has duds.

      Delete